- Revolver Deluxe Edition Open Thread - October 30, 2022
- From Faith Current: “Fool on the Hill: The Myth of Perfectionist Paul” - October 23, 2022
- Draft Ringo for PM! - October 21, 2022
They all laughed when we stepped up to the mic, but when we began to sing… Hey Dullblog is the most popular Beatles fan site on the web, with about a thousand visitors a day. This means that we’re getting lots of new commenters, which we love. But now’s a good time to remind everybody that Dullblog’s a bit different than the rest of the internet: comments here are expected to be constructive, substantive and civil.
Constructive meaning part of a good faith attempt on our all parts to learn more, and understand better, a topic we all love.
Substantive meaning reflective of a deep knowledge based on reading and thought, not only of the Beatles and their time, but also of our own thoughts and motivations.
Civil meaning showing a fundamental respect for others, and a tolerance of different opinions honestly arrived at.
Here are some guidelines:
1) Talk about ideas, not the person expressing the idea. Don’t assign motives to other commenters. Phrases like “you (or those like you) are _____,” “you only think x because_________,” and “people like you make me so mad because __________” should be rephrased to focus on the opinion, rather than the person. Best of all are “I” statements.
2) Try not to bring your feelings about other boards onto this one. Bringing a lot of anger here because people on other sites have been jerky, actually toxifies this space.
3) Have something specific you wish to say, express it succinctly, and provide reasons why you think as you do. Comments don’t have to be sourced, but it’s always nice when they are.
4) There is no “being right” here. We are discussing these issues, not settling them. People are going to have different opinions. This is good, and what makes our comments fun to read.
5) Follow the Golden Rule: if you want to be respected, show respect. If you want to have freedom, allow others freedom. If you want to have fun, show good humor.
While I’m on the topic, I’ve also noticed that people occasionally apologize for their comments, or say to me privately that they haven’t got anything to say, or couldn’t articulate it well enough to post. Please don’t judge yourself so harshly. If you have a thought, we want to hear it…as long as it’s constructive, substantive, and civil.
Our unique culture has been created by constant moderation/curation, and our wonderful commentariat, which is without peer. Please help us spread this vision of the internet as a intellectually engaged, civil, and safe place by bringing your best self when commenting on Hey Dullblog.
Thanking you very kindly —
Mike, Nancy and Karen